Saturday, June 7, 2014

Thesis Statements


Now that you have written a thoughtful summary of Gopnik's argument, spend some time reading and thinking about the research from the annotated bibliography.  Looking at the assignment prompt for the Common Assignment, craft a careful thesis statement that will form the basis for your Common Assignment essay.  A successful thesis will:
1.  State an argument (that is, something that a reader could reasonably argue with).  
2.  Focus the argument appropriately on Gopnik's article.
3.  Somehow note that your argument will be supported by research.  (For instance, you may consider using a phrase like, "research will show that" or "the articles ________________ and _________________ lend credence to Gopnik's assertion that . . . "  Or "authors _____________ and ______________ challenge Gopnik's argument by . .  .")
4.  Be arguable in 5-6 pages.  
5.  Answer the assignment as outlined in the prompt.  
**Although I had thought it was going to be possible for me to get by without a computer while in L.A., I realized that it just wasn't going to happen.  SO--I do have a computer and reliable internet.  In between hanging out with my nieces and nephew and spending time at the Happiest Place On Earth, I'll be working.  SO--once you have a thesis, feel free to run it by me.  Send me an email with your intro, or just your thesis, and I'll send you something back with some ideas/suggestions.  

No comments: